Module Two: ON-PAGE ORGANIC SEO MARKETING and OPTIMIZATION
Think about a drive in the country. As you pass a farm, you see three big silos. Now each silo would have its own type of grain. One could be filled with wheat, one with oats and one with corn. It would make no sense at all to mix the grains up and then store them. They are kept separate for ease of marketing. This siloed definition is a little simple but it starts our conversation. The Siloed Structure Website effect has to do with website structure and an internal linking strategy. This structure layout and internal link technique is what defines the silo organizational structure. A siloed structure website promotes the building of your website structure with highly optimized SEO siloed structure, narrow blocks of website content, grouped in website categories known as silos. This type of linking structure is preferred by many SEO Consultants because the results can be seen quickly for each silo. Instead of developing SEO for the whole site you can concentrate on one silo at a time.
Here is the overall SEO siloed structure picture…..or what the experts think because Google so secretive…
- Google uses authority sites as content references by which it grades new website entries.
- Google keeps a running index of the keywords and expert words on those authority sites. A trust score is generated.
- Google compares the website content from your pages with the authority sites. A Google trust score as it is known, is generated for your new entry. As your trust score goes up and gets closer to the authority site so will your Google ranking.
- Google loves well organized sites that are easy for the user and the bot to crawl.
Begin the Siloed Structure process by thinking about your theme.
- What subjects are currently ranking for your website if any?
- What are the subject themes relevant to your website?
- How would a Google user search (keywords) for your content?
- Can you build a clear subject theme?
- Can you add support with more content to the theme?
To help you visualize the siloed structure concept, think of a jar of jelly beans. You have red, green, and black jelly beans all mixed up in a jar. There is no order to the beans. If a search engine took a look at the jar it would determine that there is one jar of jelly beans or one site. Next separate the beans by color and place them in their own jars. So now we have a jar of red beans, green beans and black beans. If the search engine took a look at the three jars it would determine there was a jar of red, a jar of green and a jar of black beans. Three separate jars or three separate sites. Now we have a jar that has dividers inside forming three separate areas or silos with in the jar. We put the beans in their own area or siloed structure. The search engine would see one jar or site with the jelly beans separated into three categories or three silo website structures. So, siloed thinking is having three sites under one umbrella or homepage. When building a siloed structure you need to design each of your silos on paper before you build or redo a site. Make sure all internal linking is within the silo. Don’t bleed out.
Siloed Website Structure Steps
- Create your primary keyword page (theme homepage) for your main siloed structure.
- Create a focused category page for each silo with a secondary keyword title. (Silo 1 Page ~ Silo 2 Page ~ Silo 3 Page ~ Silo 4 Page).
- The first page of your category or silo has to be built as a “page”. The supporting articles in the silo are recorded as “posts.”
- In the Siloed Structure make sure you are keeping each category page and sub-posts isolated from other category pages for the optimum silo effect. .
- Build internal silo links from the category page to the next content post. Build links between each content post. Like the daisy chain effect. (Silo 1 Page > Article 1 post > Article 2 post > Article 3 post > Article 4 post)
- From the last post in each siloed structure, link to the category page of the next siloed structure. (Article 4 post > Silo 2 Page)
- Use SEOPressor WordPress plugin to make sure your SEO strategy is correct for each page and post. If your SEO optimization is not correct, then all the work you went through previously is useless.
- Execute a quality backlink campaign for each siloed structure. This includes guest blogging and good article submission to blogging networks like Blogging Underground. Start with backlinks to your easier to rank posts (lower search volume) first then the higher volume pages.
When I talk about the category page in this article it is not the same as a WordPress category that are set up by the WP theme. They are the silo pages or top pages of a siloed structure. I use the WP categories as a way to keep my articles organized and on theme. I name the WP categories with terms that are similar or the same as the silo page category titles. My goal is to keep organized and have the WP categories rank. Implement these important points and you will build a more SEO Google friendly site. Your siloed structure layout will make it easier for Google to crawl and compare it to the authority site for your keyword. Keep it organized.
Website Siloed Keyword Layout
Build your main siloed structure theme home page with your primary keywords. This is normally a high search volume keyword which usually makes it hard to rank high for right away. (exact match of 3 keywords with 2500 or more volume) This is your home page and the top of the umbrella. (theme homepage) Now build a supporting silo website keyword structure with a category page (silo1) at the top then posts (article 1) below the category silo page with long tail or secondary keywords that will be easier to rank for underneath the primary theme homepage (umbrella) which will give it support. You can have as many supporting silo structures as you like under the theme homepage Link the secondary keyword siloed structure from the bottom of the secondary silo last post (article 4) to the top of the next secondary keyword siloed structure category page (silo 2).
With the proper SEO Google for each secondary keyword silo, you will rank higher and faster for the secondary silos. Then as the secondary keyword silos move up, they will push your primary keyword siloed structure (home page) higher
This is known as the SILOED WEBSITE STRUCTURE EFFECT. It will start to make you a expert for the lesser competitive keywords in your secondary siloed structure. As you become a expert for more silos the combined power will push your main homepage silo up the Google ladder. This is part of the process that defines siloing.
Your goal is to build each silo structure almost like it is its own website. With this structure you actually have the opportunity to rank high for each siloed structure by itself. Just think of the traffic and revenue that could bring.
Siloed Website Structure Rules:
- Information about each subject needs to be kept is its own area or silo. Your goal is to keep each siloed structure filled with only related information.
- You can link the pages and posts within the silos anyway you want but not outside the silo. The only pages that ever gets a link outside the silo is the top category page directly under the home page umbrella.
- Never link off to information that’s not related.
- Do not have a ton of inbound links from unrelated sites.
- Watch for Bleeding Out of Theme. When you combine or reference different silo information, it bleeds out the theme of your siloed structure. Keep everything in its own category silo and don’t cross reference the different categories. If you do, it needs to be to the category page only.(silo 1)
The end product will be one strong authority site which is sustained by its SEO optimized individual categories (silos) that requires a minimal number of quality backlinks in order to rank high.
Lets say you are doing a site about “Beverages”. One beverage is coffee the other wine. Coffee and all related articles need to be in it’s own silo. Wine articles and information also needs to be in it’s own siloed structure. If your main siloed structure is about “Beverages” and you talk about different types of beverages that is OK. But with the two secondary silos, you have one that is about wine and if you bring in information about coffee from the second silo, that is not good. When you combine or reference different silo information, it bleeds out the theme of your silos. Keep everything in its own category and don’t cross reference the different categories. By building multiple silos you have the chance to rank high for each silo by itself. These higher ranked silos are going to push you up the rankings for your main silo
If using PPC don’t go for your primary keyword terms first, but go for your long-tail search keyword terms first. Make sure you have focused on good, quality content and then, as you do that, you will start rising up.
The BIG Secrets to a Effective Siloed Structure
- Keeping to a strict Siloed Structure – this is harder than you think.
- Making sure that you stay within your themes.
- There’s no theme bleeding going on.
- Keep track of position and linking on paper.
Tip: Once you understand siloing it sounds easy but confusion on where you are at, can get you off track. Use a flow chart system to monitor silos and links. Both internal links and backlinks. You can link back and forth as long as you stay within the silo.
I know this can be confusing. I found a great video on YouTube that will tie this all together for you. Click the link here to see the video on “What is a Siloed Structure” If you have a website put together already then take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MU5NyPmaE
CLICK to CONTINUE on Mod Two STEP FOUR and Siloed Link Building
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE -
- Siloed Link Building: The use of siloed link building will bring you success on the Google search engine.
- Developing a Website Structure: Whether you are building a new site or re-figuring a old site, it starts out with drawing out your pages and how they are linked.
- Top SEO Consultants: most of us don’t have a fleet of SEO Consultants to work with. We don’t get to hire that Search Engine Optimization Expert. Most of us have to use a “do it yourself concept”
Copyright 2011 Google Keywords Tool and Siloed Structure
PLEASE feel free to post a relevant comment or question below. I will be delighted to help you with any question I can……JOHN
Favorite Research Terms:
- describe a small farm two silo structure
- i will build a silo structured websites
- linking structure for a silo site
- siloed organization structure